Are you guys ready to bring your cosplay game to PMX this year? That’s awesome because we have several cosplay events planned for you!
COSPLAY TALENT SHOW
Do you have what it takes to win the ultimate talent award? Show us what you got! And the audience will be your judge! Sing, dance, or recreate famous anime scenes!
Please apply here: PMX 2019 Cosplay Talent Show Form
Applications close on October 1, 2019 at 11:59PM
This event is open to all registered convention attendees. You must have a valid PMX badge for the day of the pre-meet and match in order to participate.
Please apply here: PMX 2019 Cosplay Chess Form
Applications close on October 1, 2019 at 11:59PM
How to Participate:
Those wishing to participate must complete the following:
- Online registration form in full.
- Partial applications will not be considered.
Registration for Cosplay Chess is not a first-come, first-serve; participants will be selected based on experience, needs of the game, and quality of the costume.
If selected to participate, attendance at the pre-meeting is required. Failure to attend will result in replacement in the game(s).
There will be 32 chess pieces, as per an average game of chess. Alternates will be selected in the event participants drop out or miss the required pre-meeting. Battles requiring unspecified extras for special attacks shall need to be approved with a member of Cosplay Staff prior to the event.
- When a move is made by the Kings or Chess Masters that result in a piece being taken, a battle will take place.
- All pieces, except those involved, will remove themselves from the board and the pieces will battle. The use of special attacks and moves is encouraged with approval.
- The pieces will battle and put on a show for the audience, and the defeated piece will “die” in a dramatic way. Ideal timing for a battle is 1-3 minutes, with a maximum of three minutes.
- After the defeated piece leaves the board, all the remaining pieces will return to their previous positions.
- Positions will not be marked, so you will have to remember the number of your space before the battle started.
- If a microphone or assistance of any other kind is needed for your battle, please arrange this with a member of Cosplay Staff before the game, preferably at the pre- meeting.
- There shall be little or no physical contact between pieces not currently engaged in battle.
- During a battle, you may not touch the piece you are “fighting” unless they consent prior to the game.
- Battles must still adhere to all PMX policies and must not cause harm (bodily or otherwise) to other participants.
- Consent may be withdrawn at any point prior, during or after the event.
- If you fail to abide by any PMX policies, you shall be removed from the game immediately and handed over to the convention security.
- All entries must be recognizable characters from manga, anime, video games, or another form of popular media.
- All costumes must:
- Follow all convention policies.
- Be self-contained, with no electrical plugs or other outside support required. A costume must be something that the applicant can move in. If your costume is bulky, heavy, or awkward, an explanation should be included with the application explaining in detail how the design of the costume will still allow for enough movement to participate in Cosplay Chess.
- All weapons must adhere to the convention’s weapon policy and must be peace-bonded. If Cosplay Staff believes the player is violating the rules of peace-bonding, that player will be removed from the board and replaced.
- No props or stage accessories that leave behind material will be allowed. This means no confetti, no fake blood, no rose petals or anything else that could disrupt everyone’s footing or damage the convention space.
- No shoes are allowed on the mats.
- Socks/stocking/slippers or bare feet only.
- If you are worried that your shoes cannot be removed for the duration of Cosplay Chess, please see a member of Cosplay Staff prior to the event for approval
- Historical, original characters, and celebrity based costumes will be treated on a case by case basis when submitted for consideration. The Cosplay manager might require further information about the historical or original character being submitted or as to why you think the celebrity based character would function in the game.
- Images of your finished costume must be submitted with your application. In the event the costume you wish to apply with is not currently finished, include reference pictures, pictures of a previous costume and any pictures you can of the unfinished product. When e-mailing costume updates (mandatory if your costume is unfinished at the time of application) to Cosplay Staff, please remember to include your name, character name, series, and date of the costume update.
- Participants will be selected based on previous experience (with theater, martial arts, improv groups or with at-convention events such as Cosplay Chess or Cosplay Contest) and based on the quality of the costume.
- Any person or persons wishing to have multiple characters as the same piece are subject to approval and critique by Cosplay Staff. Each inquiry will be taken on a case by case basis. The person or persons are subject to be split up based on the needs for the game instead of being placed as the same piece.
- You may not request to be multiple characters as one piece.
- Please note that some participants may be combined into a single piece.
- The game and piece placement is subject to change at any point prior to the event based off the needs of the game by Cosplay Staff.
- Punctuality is important.
- If believe you are going to be a few minutes late, please contact Cosplay Staff.
- If you are 10 minutes late from call time, you be replaced.
- Participants will be chosen and notified of their position approximately a month to two weeks before the convention and will be required to attend a mandatory pre-game meeting at the convention.
Speed dating with a twist! What’s the catch? You have to be in cosplay and STAY IN CHARACTER while you interact with each other.
We love seeing our peeps cosplay from the same series and take photos together. Submit your application and host an awesome gathering of your favorite series!
COSPLAY REPAIR STATION
COSPLAY PHOTO BOOTH